Archives

Home   >   Archives   

129 foot lift boat capsizes off Louisiana coast

Rig Lynx
  • By Rig Lynx
  • Apr 14, 2021
  • Category : Archives
  • Views : 665

 

Coast Guard officials said that at least six people were rescued after a large commercial boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico, 8 miles south of Port Fourchon, on Tuesday.

 

Lafourche Parish President Archie Chaisson III confirmed that 18 people were on board before the 129-foot lift boat, named the Seacor Power, took on water at about 4:30 p.m. Much of metro New Orleans had just been hit by an unexpectedly strong storm that overturned vessels and damaged property, particularly in coastal towns.

 

Along with local Coast Guard officials and good Samaritans helping with the rescue mission, a search plane out of Texas was also en route to the scene.

 

Bruce J. Simon, who appeared to be on a vessel at the time the large boat capsized, shared photos and video to his Facebook and said he had "NEVER heard so many MAYDAY calls in my life!" His post was shared by nearly 6,000 people. 

 

Jefferson Parish Councilman Ricky Templet, whose district includes nearby Grand Isle, said multiple vessels were overturned or ruined on the island, and that some trailers and businesses were damaged. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported that wind gusts had reached 75 mph in Grand Isle.

 

"We expected some winds and possible rains, but nothing as extensive as what took place on the coastal areas of Jefferson Parish," Templet said.

 

Messages left for the capsized vessel's owner, Seacor Marine, weren't immediately returned late Tuesday. According to specifications on the owner's website, the Seacor Power is an offshore construction jack-up that was built in 2002.

 

Source: NOLA.com

 

Join our mailing list here


We are #1 on Google and Bing for the "Largest Mobile Energy Network"

Come join our community!

Download the Rig Lynx app here

Comments (0)

Leave Comment


Check out our other stories

Rig Lynx
May 06, 2021

  Vantage Drilling International reported a net loss attributable to controlling interest of approximately $36.0 million or $2.74 per diluted share for the three months ended March 31, 2021, based on the weighted average shares outstanding, as compared to a net loss attributable to controlling interest of $30.6 million or $2.33 per diluted share for the three months ended March 31, 2020.   As of March 31, 2021, Vantage had approximately $152.2 million in cash, including $11.9 million of restricted cash, compared to $154.5 million in cash, including $12.5 million of restricted cash at December 31, 2020. The Company used $15.4 million in cash from operations in 2021 compared to $31.3 million used during the same period of 2020.   Ihab Toma, CEO, commented: “The first quarter appeared to mark the early stages of a recovery for the industry with signs of improving tendering and contract activity.  Indeed, we added approximately $127 million of backlog during the quarter. We were able to build off of the momentum that began early this year and, in March, we successfully reactivated the Topaz Driller to begin its campaign in Montenegro.  As previously indicated, we expect to reactivate the Sapphire Driller and Aquamarine Driller later in the second quarter 2021 to begin their drilling campaigns in West Africa and Southeast Asia, respectively.”    Mr. Toma continued, “At current levels of Brent prices, we believe that shallow water activity is stabilizing and we remain optimistic that deepwater could begin to recover later this year. As always, we continue to focus on leveraging our efficient management platform, to put our rigs back to work while also managing rigs for others, operate safely and efficiently and preserve cash while delivering high caliber service to our clients."   Source: Vantage Drilling   Join our mailing list here We are #1 on Google and Bing for the "Largest Mobile Energy Network" Come join our community! Download the Rig Lynx app here

Rig Lynx
May 06, 2021

  Royal Dutch Shell has informed Tunisian authorities it will hand back upstream concessions and leave the country next year as it turns its focus to renewable energy, Rania Marzouki a senior official in the energy ministry, told Reuters.   Shell's departure will mean the Miskar concession in southern city of Gabes will be handed back to the government, she said, and Shell has also requested the early hand-back of the Asdrubal permit, which expires in 2035.   Reuters quoted industry sources last month saying that Shell had hired investment bank Rothschild & Co. to sell its Tunisian assets, while Italy’s Eni had hired Lazard to run its own sale and Austria’s OMV also planned to sell up.   "We can confirm that Shell Tunisia Upstream (Shell) will be handing back the Miskar concession to the Government of Tunisia upon license expiry in June 2022," a spokesperson for Shell said on Wednesday.   He added that the decision does not impact the ongoing brand license agreement in the country with Vivo Energy, which distributes and markets Shell products to retail and commercial customers in Africa. "Shell will continue to assess other opportunities in Tunisia beyond the upstream sector," he said.   The gradual departure of major western energy companies from Tunisia in recent years follows growing frustration with the country’s unstable regulatory and political environment since the 2011 revolution that has led to investments drying up.   Source: Reuters   Join our mailing list here We are #1 on Google and Bing for the "Largest Mobile Energy Network" Come join our community! Download the Rig Lynx app here

Rig Lynx
May 06, 2021

  OKEA ASA has awarded a four-year frame contract to COSL Drilling Europe AS for the use of COSL’s energy-efficient drilling units on the Norwegian Continental Shelf (NCS).   As part of the agreement, COSL Drilling Europe (COSL) will be the exclusive provider of semi-submersible drilling rigs for OKEA’s NCS operations, with flexibility in terms of which of COSL’s identical and energy-efficient rigs are to be used. The agreement has four one-year extension options giving a potential total contract length of eight years.   ‘OKEA expects to take a number of drill decisions in the coming months and this frame agreement secures the options we and our licence partners need for efficient and cost-effective rigs for both development and exploration drilling in the coming years. We are very pleased to have entered into this frame agreement with COSL, which provides the flexibility and predictability we need at attractive rig rates’, comments Erik Haugane, CEO of OKEA.   ‘We are happy to announce this agreement for providing drilling services for OKEA on the NCS.   This joint partnership will set a new industry standard when it comes to low-emission and efficient drilling operations. We are excited in how the operator with this agreement demonstrates confidence in our employees, our rigs and our organization to deliver efficient and high-end drilling performance’, says Frank Tollefsen, CEO of COSL Drilling Europe.   The first well commitment to utilise this agreement is expected to be in conjunction with the Final Investment Decision on the Hasselmus project, a gas tie-in to the Draugen field.   Source: OKEA   Join our mailing list here We are #1 on Google and Bing for the "Largest Mobile Energy Network" Come join our community! Download the Rig Lynx app here